I am motivated by a goal of
I aim to contribute by
I work toward this goal by weaving together
I create work that
I create work that explores new ways of
I create work that bridges
I aim to address the inequities in today's social systems by
asking new questions to arrive at new answers about how we might redesign them.
And I learn the skills I need to accomplish this by
making the kind of work I want to see.
A 10-week web series documenting wheelchair travel in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam:
- Discusses wheelchair accessibility in playful, digestible videos for an audience that might not necessarily be looking specifically for accessibility information.
- Aims to challenge common mass media images of disability as an object of pity or "inspiration".
An experimental documentary; an asset-based look at health equity, made with ingredients from a bodega in Lawrence, MA:
- Shows the potential of animation as a documentary method to inspire empathy, convery information, and join distinct yet related topics into one playful format with fewer audienec barriers than a more traditional documentary method.
- Highlights my desire to amplify the stories of underserved communities from an internal point of view, rather than relying on problems/solutions to be define solyle by outside "experts".
guiding the viewer through
spaces + personal experiences
in unexpectedly playful ways.
PUBLIC HEALTH RESEARCH
sheding light on complex processes that affect public health,
supporting community partners/co-investigators.
A content analysis of community-based organizations' social media posts.
digital - physical divide.
Making work to help
organizations + individuals
achieve their aims.
drawing attention to
overlooked parts of my environment
through phsyical interventions
building my skillsets
in filmmaking, web development, + project management
through smaller-scale experiments in areas that interest me.
SAMUEL R. MENDEZ
Filmmaker, researcher, digital creator.
Bachelor of Arts, Harvard University, 2014. Magna Cum Laude, High Honors in Field.
Concentration: Visual + Environmental Studies. Secondary: Global Health + Health Policy.
- Ramanadhan S, Mendez SR, Rao M, Viswanath K. Social media use by community-based organizations conducting health promotion: a content analysis. BMC Public Health. 2013;13:1129. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-13-1129.
- National Academy of Medicine, Washington DC. (2017). Official Selection for Visualize Health Equity: A Community Art Show, "A Bodega".
- Official Latino Short Film Fest, New York, NY. (2017). Exceptional Artistry award winner, "By Foot: Busan and the Sea".
- TRAVEL FilmFest, Limassol, Cyprus. (2017). Finalist, Best Travel Web Series, "10 Days in Saigon".
- Chicago Onscreen, Chicago, IL. (2017). Official Selection by the Chicago Park District for screening in 3 Chicago parks, "A Bodega".
- Chicagoland Shorts Vol 3, Chicago, IL. (2017). Official Selection, "Persefone's Breakfast".
- 14th WE CARE Film Festival, New Delhi, India (2017). Official Selection, "10 Days in Saigon".
- Official Latino Short Film Fest, New York, NY. (2016). Exceptional Artistry nomination,"Persefone's Breakfast".
- Chicago REEL Shorts Film Fest, Chicago, IL. (2014). Best Documentary nomination, "A Bodega".
- Blue Plum Animation Fest, Johnson City, TN. (2014). Official Selection, "A Bodega".
- Chicago REEL Shorts Film Fest, Chicago, IL. (2013). Official Selection, "Snow Queen Travel Company".
- Northwestern University, Simon Lab.
Chicago, IL. (2016.09 - current).
- Conducted qualitative research on generalist healthcare providers' views, knowledge + experience making family planning referrals.
- Applied design thinking and participatory design exercises to lead the lab team in ongoing internal communications process improvement.
- Worked on ChicagoCHEC (U54 tri-institutional grant) Community Engagement Core to build + maintain partnerships with community-based organizations, federally-qualified health centers, hospital partners, and advocacy groups.
- Worked with ChicagoCHEC staff to create a stakeholder interview guide around their perceptions of ChicagoCHEC's success, strengths + opportunities for improvement; Conducted stakeholder interviews
- Participated in grantwriting for grants from the NCI/NIH.
- Led ChicagoCHEC staff in data collection for a Community Partners Resource Guide as a way to meet expressed community partner needs; designed and formatted Resource Guide for print.
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, + remote work. (2015.12 - 2016.08).
- Directed a 10-week wheelchair travel web series; recorded footage on site in Vietnam.
- Co-conducted interviews with local participants.
- Peer-mentored series co-creator in video production and video project management, skills that he used later to make more Muui video projects.
- Developed concept + format was used in later Muui projects.
- Trained a remote team of 10 interns to subtitle series in English, Korean + Vietnamese.
- Dipont Education Management.
Regional video project manager.
Hangzhou, China. (2014.08 - 2015.08).
- Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center, Viswanath Lab.
Boston, MA. (2011.06 - 2014.08).
Internal communications intern.
Basel, Switzerland. (2012.06 - 2012.07).
- Rush University Medical Center.
Summer Biochemistry Research Program.
Summer research student. (2010.06 - 2010.08).
- American Cancer Society, IL Division.
Summer Research Program.
Summer research student. (2009.06 - 2009.08).